This morning was officially the worst start to a day I think I have ever had. Not just in Mumbai; ever. Of all the times that I have slept through my alarm and have had to rush to get out the door (and believe me, that has happened a few times before), this topped it. I can only hope that I will never have a day get off to a start this bad again.
Tired from the weekend, I decided to hit the hay early Monday night thinking I would wake up rested for a busy Tuesday. I set the alarm clock on my phone for 5:45 and the one on the little clock Ana and Gray gave me for 5:50 and snuggled into bed.
The next morning I was stirred from a deep sleep by (what I thought was) my alarm, and stumbled out of bed to turn it off only to see that I had missed a call instead. For a second, I thought that I had actually woken up before my alarm and was completely horrified to see that it was 7:09 and that I had somehow slept through 2 alarms and 4 phone calls. Now, I'm sure that anyone who has ever lived with me and experienced my morning routine is probably laughing right now thinking "Well, this was bound to happen!" (Dad, I can hear you through the Internet...) but the truth is I have been very responsible about getting up on time. All I can think is that I must have really (really, really) needed the sleep.
Well, I had officially missed my ride to school so I began the running late rush by scrambling to get my things packed and myself put together. I stuffed materials into my bag, vocalized some choice words, and accidentally poked myself in the eye with my mascara. Finally, I was dressed and out the door only to find myself standing in the worst monsoon rain we've had since I've been here. And I'm not just exaggerating for effect; people were talking about it all day at school. Y'all, it was pouring! Luckily I had grabbed my umbrella in my mad dash out the door and stood under it to try and flag a rickshaw. One finally pulled up, conveniently next to a puddle, and so I got my feet and the bottom of my pants absolutely soaked trying to get myself and all my stuff inside (I think I've mentioned how disgusting the streets are here, so keep in mind that this is no ordinary puddle I've waded into). In the process of sliding into the rickshaw seat, I then ended up sliding my head and my entire back under the nasty, wet flap that hangs down to keep the rain out of the rickshaw so now my entire body was wet. And I was officially miserable. And I think I started cussing again.
As if being 45 minutes late to work and soaking wet and dirty wasn't bad enough, I was splashed by neighboring rickshaws the entire ride to school, which made me even more wet and mad. The rickshaw driver, possibly sensing my urgency to get to work, was driving faster than the rickshaws are built to move, and I'm pretty sure I saw my life flash before my eyes a few times. All this accompanied by the melodious background of the Mumbai Car Horn Orchestra and enough gas fumes to make you feel like you've smoked three packs of cigarettes.
I don't know if I have adequately portrayed how stressful the morning was, but it was pretty terrible. Of course I find it hilarious now that it's over, but at the time I was ready to catch the first flight I could find back to the U. S. and call it quits. Thank goodness Barrett was by his cell-phone to calm me down enough to actually go into work rather than direct the rickshaw to the nearest airport (as much as he probably would have liked that instead!). I can tell you guys one thing that's for sure though... this girl will not be oversleeping again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
TYLER!
well, I'm sorry your day got off to a bad start - but I am GLAD you are using that lovely clock compliments of Tiny HOUSE!
I feel you on the FLOODING rain thing, that sounds like Savannah Hurricane Season to me!
so tyler, this is my inaugural comment on your blog, but i thought i would tell you that that stars must have aligned in some strange way. i overslept tuesday as well and while we're pretty much on opposite sides of the planet, i got to work 45 minutes late too...sometimes a girl just needs her sleep.
Ty! I can only imagine you running around like that!!
Having to rush is never good for me, either. However, you are rising above all these challenges. Bravo!
Post a Comment